14 Essential pieces in the wardrobe of a hijabi:
As a hijabi woman, you must be looking to keep your clothes modest with a twist of beauty in fashion. It might not be easy to bear the extremely hot weather out there, but we always keep in mind that we can never bear the heat of Jahannam, and Satr in Dunya is much better for us to handle. We always try to improve the way we dress because our main goal is to please Allah, and hence get rewarded in Jannah.
If you want to go modest, you absolutely have a variety of options nowadays in pret-a-porter outfits that facilitate shopping and choosing outfits for you, in contrary to the past times, when hijabi woman struggled to find the best outfits and had to sew their clothes, with limited options in shops to choose from!
In the essence of our creation, Allah has bestowed us with different means to cover our bodies and be in Satr.
Allah said in the Holy Book:
(Surah Al A’raf, Verse 26)
So it is imposed on all sons and daughters of Adam, men and women, to dress modestly and to choose mainly the garments that suit the righteous people.
In a previous blog, we talked about the rules of the right hijab (To read the blog click here), but in this article, we will provide you with details on essential pieces to have in your wardrobe as a hijabi to dress modestly yet in a fashionable way.
On a first and most important note, your clothes should never be tight, sheer nor short. So when you want to go on a shopping journey, always consider these main rules and take it from there.
Here are 14 Essential pieces in a wardrobe of a Hijabi:
Essential outerwear pieces to have in your closet:
- Abayas and maxi dresses: The most elegant and the fastest to wear pieces! This is the most important item in your locker that will keep you modest and comfortable and will save you the time of matching pieces together since it is a single all body covering outfit.
Choose comfortable long cuts and materials:
- Hijab inners in basic colors: to match with all your hijabs and outfits, make sure to have at least the essential basic colors of hijab inners.
- Mini dresses: yes. Mini dresses made for non hijabis are a good option as a shirt for hijabi women who are looking for modest long wear. It will cover the areas that you want to hide such as the lower back and the front. Wear them with wide pants or skinny skirts and create looks that no one will notice that they were made of mini dresses and not real shirts.
- Long Tunics: Have a collection of long tunics and cardigans to wear over tight clothes or short shirts and cover the body details: consider having both, long and short sleeves. Also, choose those with basic tones to wear with all your outfits: get them in white, black, denim and brown. You can also get in gray.
- Long skirts: You can always match your short shirt with a long skirt and enjoy your day. They are a great addition to your wardrobe.
- Basic colors long shirts (sleeveless and long sleeves): A required piece in every woman’s wardrobe. You can wear it under jackets, blazers and with many outfit matchings.
Undergarment essential pieces:
As a woman, and especially as a hijabi, you must have certain pieces as undergarments for multipurpose use, to ensure that your clothes are opaque, long and modest. When you consider getting these pieces, choose the colors of extensions that suit the majority of your clothes, as well as in basic colors that are most commonly worn such as Black, white, gray and navy (they also go well with the majority of outfits).
The main pieces that need to be in your wardrobe are:
- Shirt extension: with this piece, you will enjoy wearing your favorite shirts without worrying about their length! Wear this piece under your blouses or shirts. It will add a fashionable and modest twist to your look.
- Body shirts (long-sleeved inner): You can wear them under sleeveless, sheer or perforated shirts to cover the skin.
- Leggings: Always wear long tight pants under your skirts and dresses. This tip is very essential because sometimes our skirt might fly with air, or even in worst-case scenarios, a woman might fall when she is outside of her home. So to avoid any revealing of her legs and to ensure Satr, follow this tip always.
- Collar extension (Turtle half neck shirt): If you have a shirt in a V-shape neck or even a wide-open rounded neck, consider wearing a collar extension shirt to cover and move comfortably throughout the day. This piece is also essential when wearing short-length hijabs.
- Sleeve extension (Half hand gloves): An absolutely must-have piece for every hijabi! If the sleeves of your shirt are not long enough to cover the full arms, this piece will do the work, without extra heat in the summer. (No one will notice that it is an extension, yet it will seem like a body shirt, especially if the color is matching with your outfit).
- Long socks in nylon fabric: not many people know about this type of socks, yet it is very helpful to have at least a pair of them. You can wear them to cover any revealing part of your ankle and lower leg, without ruining your look.
- Corset: to hide any details in the belly or thighs area under your dress or skirt, wear a Shorts Corset. Choose one with a high waist for better shape and better coverage. It will also limit the visibility of body movements under the clothes.
- Inner skirt and dress: If an outfit is very body-defining, wear a mini satin skirt underneath. The fabric will not stick to the body anymore. Try to have a variety of options such as a mini satin skirt, long pencil skirt and an inner long dress.
An important tip:
Choose undergarments made of a breathable and lightweight fabric to ensure breathability and comfort all day.
If you want to achieve comfort, make sure you are dressed in the appropriate way.
Don’t be of those who want to reveal the beauty that Allah blessed them with, because what is better for you is the clothing of piety. - to cover according to what Allah told you to do-. It is not solely about your clothes, yet this includes your character and manners with others.
We must be grateful to have different clothing options from different places, in various colors and many cuts, that help us stay modest, yet on trend. Especially that hijabs and scarves, are also available in the same criteria, that keep us comfortable and good looking.
An important note: remember that the awrah of a woman among other women is from the belly button to the knee, so you should consider that even while not wearing your hijab.
🌷 May Allah steadfast our women on the right way and honor them with the clothing of piety, in Dunya and Akhira. 🌷